In a pre-E3 briefing, Microsoft has announced a number of upcoming changes and upgrades to their xCloud streaming service. Currently, Xbox games can be streamed exclusively on mobile devices and with an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription.
- Very soon, xCloud will be playable over Edge, Chrome, and Safari browsers.
- This additional support significantly improves the value-proposition of the Game Pass Ultimate subscription for players who have neither an Xbox nor a gaming PC.
- xCloud streaming will soon be playable on smart TVs.
- Microsoft is developing its own HDMI plug-in device to allow xCloud streaming. Presumably, the device will be similar to Amazon’s Firestick, Google’s Chromecast, and Roku.
- xCloud streaming will launch later this year in Australia, Brazil, Mexico, and Japan.
- Microsoft is upgrading its streaming servers to Xbox Series X hardware.
- Microsoft is considering different subscription plans for xCloud.